ShareChurches and abbeys

Apiro

ABBEY OF SANT'URBANO

APIRO
Contrada Sant'Urbano, 3

+39 0731 816222

Extraordinary example of Romanic architecture, its external shape shows the three amazing apsis, corresponding to the three naves. Inside the church is one of the few still keeping the three different parts of the Romanic architecture: the aula, dedicated to people, the presbytery, much higher and in gothic style, reserved for the monks, almost a church inside the church, and finally the crypt accessible through a narrow stair.
On the first light of the 25th of May, day of patron Saint Urbano, a lighting ray entering by a hole above the apsis, shines through the darkness and perfectly enlighten a circle engraved in the stone of the wall on the left side of the entrance.

Appignano

CONVENTO DI FORANO

APPIGNANO
C.da Forano

Tel. +39 0733 590080

Traditionally, the real evidence of the presence of S. Francesco is the ancient oak door inserted into the facade of the church from where the saint made his entrance. The settlement of Forano lived a miraculous event. In 1289 the Virgin Mary holding the Child in her arms, appeared to Frate Corrado from Affida.

Cingoli

CHIESA COLLEGIATA DI SANT'ESUPERANZIO

CINGOLI
Via Sant’Esuperanzio

+39 0733 601 903

E’ il più importante monumento religioso di Cingoli; già dipendenza dei monaci di Fonte Avellana all’indomani dell’avvento dell’anno mille (papa Innocenzo II confermerà tale proprietà nel 1139), dalla seconda metà del secolo XIII assurse al ruolo preminente fra tutte le chiese del territorio quando il suo santo titolare venne proposto quale vescovo della città e quindi eletto patrono. A tale medesimo secolo va riferita la costruzione dell’attuale chiesa, in stile romanico-gotico; notevole e di complessa simbologia il portale scolpito, eseguito da maestro Giacomo e terminato nel 1295.

 

Civitanova Marche

SANTUARIO S. MARIA APPARENTE

CIVITANOVA MARCHE
Via del Torrione

+39 0733 822213

This typical country church, dating back to the 16th century and renovated on several occasions, stands on the site where, according to tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared to a farmer on 5 June 1411. The feast of S. M. Apparente is celebrated on 5 June each year. She is co-patroness of the city of Civitanova, together with S. Marone.

Fiastra

SANCTUARY OF BEATO UGOLINO

FIASTRA
Frazione Fiegni

+39 0737 52112

Currently this church is the remains of an ancient Benedictine monastery named in honour of Saint John. Blessed Ugolino, son of the nobleman Magalotto IV, was born in 1400 and, after becoming an orphan, he hermited away in this retreat. Inside this church 15th century frescoes featuring scenes from his life are still well preserved.

Grottazzolina

CHURCH OF SS. SACRAMENTO E ROSARIO‚Ä®

GROTTAZZOLINA
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II

+39 0734 631442

Erected by the two brotherhoods that give it its title, in the second half of the 18th century, with funds from the Alfonso Verzieri legacy. The Baroque style interior with frescoes by Luigi Fontana: l The Last Supper with the Communion of the Apostles; in the apse, on the sides of the main altar, within fake tapestries, on the left the Delivery of the keys to St. Peter, on the right the Washing of the feet. Altarpiece is by the hand of Fontana, a canvas depicting San Domenico receiving the rosary from the Madonna and Child. Behind the altarpiece, a niche houses a wooden Madonna with Child from the Neapolitan school of the early seventeenth century. On the counter-façade a large lunette overlooks the choir with the Callido organ.

Matelica

CATTEDRALE DI SANTA MARIA

MATELICA
Via Parrocchia, 1

+39 0737 847 03

The building has been rebuilt and restored several times and the bell tower was found in the center of the facade of a large cathedral. Of the Baroque building there are only two beautiful chapels left that flank the main altar. A small Museum of Sacred Art has been set up which preserves liturgical vestments and beautiful pieces of silverware: important chalices from various eras and a very precious silver crucifix by Giovanni Giardini, a Roman silversmith active between 1646 and 1722.

Montegiorgio

THE CHURCH OF ST. FRANCIS AND THE ATTACHED FARFA CHAPEL

MONTEGIORGIO
Via Roma

+39 0734 952067

The building stands on the highest town hill and originates from a previous eleventh century church belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of Farfa. In 1263 the Farfa monks gave the church to the Franciscan order that expanded it according to the Romanesque-Gothic style.
Next to the church there is the Farfense Chapel used for the noble families of Montegiorgio burial. This is a unique space with an ogive fresco vault that preserves an excellent cycle of the Umbria-Marche school concerning the stories of the True Cross discovery (XV century). The under part is occupied on 3 sides by frescoes depicting Mary’s life moments and St. Francis stigmata.Among the tombstones of the noble families of Montegiorgio placed on the floor and on the walls, it is remarkable that one of the Alaleona family (probably dated at the 15th century).

Montegranaro

CRYPT OF SANT’UGO

MONTEGRANARO
Via Sant'Ugo, 20

+39 349 786690

An ancient tradition dictates that the crypt was to be a temple. According to later chronicles, the monk Silvestrino Ugo, founded a small monastery around 1257 in the small church, where he performed several miracles. In the crypt, we can admire a series of paintings, considered among the most important Romanesque works of the Marche

Morrovalle

CHURCH OF THE PASSIONISTI

MORROVALLE
Piazza San Gabriele

+39 0733 221273

The church, transferred to the Passionist Fathers in the Eighteenth Century, hosted San Gabriele dell’ Addolorata. Nowadays, his chamber serves as a chapel.

Morrovalle

CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO

MORROVALLE
Borgo Marconi

+39 0733 223101

On 17 April 1560, fire destroyed the monastery; ten days later, an intact consecrated Host was recovered from it, a miracle for Pope Pius IV.

Penna San Giovanni

PIEVE DI SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA

PENNA SAN GIOVANNI
Piazza del Municipio

Visite su prenotazione

The Municipal Art Gallery of Penna San Giovanni was born inside the former Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, which reaches today only with the robust bell tower on the side, built on the base of an ancient medieval tower-house, and a gallery open with colonnade that allows access to the building. Inside it houses a rich collection of contemporary art, in which you can see some of the most important names of the Italian twentieth century and some ancient works of great value, such as the Crivellesco triptych, MADONNA COL BAMBINO IN THRONE, SAN SEBASTIAN, SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA, SAN PIETRO, SANTA APOLLONIA, attributed to Pietro Alemanno

Sarnano

CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA IN PIAZZA ALTA

SARNANO
Piazza Alta

+39 0733 659 91

Majestic frame of the highest square in the historical center of Sarnano, is a Romanesque church containing frescoes and paintings of great value. The building dates back to the 11th century and was completed only in 1296 with the erection of the tower. Of particular value is the entrance portal at the center of the facade. Inside the church there are frescoes by Lorenzo D’Alessandro (1483), Antonio and Gian Gentile di Lorenzo and Paolo Bontulli da Percanestro (first 500).

Sarnano

EREMO DI SOFFIANO

SARNANO
Monte Ragnolo

Tel. +39 0733 659 91
Sempre aperto

On the slopes of Monte Ragnolo, are the remains of an ancient shrine originated around 1100 DC. It is a very scenic place surrounded by the sweet murmur of the Rio Terro flowing through the steep ditch below. Easy accessible in just over an hour walking distance from the Convento di S. Liberato or about 20 minutes leaving the car at the end of a dirt road from where it starts a well-charted path